Sunday, November 7, 2010

What? Fall Back? I HATE TAPERING!! No Way!!

We almost have all of the clocks set back. Ok, coffee pot, microwave, stove, bedroom, cell phone (wait, that one did itself), once we get the cars done we can start replacing batteries and hit the furnace filter. I only wish the transition to having one less hour of daylight was as easy!
.........................................

This was an excellent week of school and a great week of training. I logged 21.6 miles for the week including 16 miles on the bike. The bike rides were Sunday and Monday with 9 and 7 miles coming on those days.
........................


My running total was very pleasing. I hammered out 3.5 on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday. On both of these days, I mixed in some fartleks to liven up the workout and get the feet moving. Its just fun to say fartlek. Thursday was a day off. Friday was a K-Mart Blue Light special or a Schnuck's Double Coupon Day. I woke up to an easy 4 miler at 5 a.m. That evening, the wife had a basketball game (remember she is the cheer coach), her fourth night out this week. After getting home, watching some ESPN, rearranging my sock drawer, contemplating world hunger, and playing with my toes for a couple of hours, I decided to wrap up the week by doing an 8 miler in the park. Nothing like a good 12 mile day. She and I actually kicked out an easy 3 yesterday to top the twenty mile mark which is ONE of my training goals each week. I like to track how often I top 20 and how often I top 30 miles as I progress through a training program.
......................................

I'm basically counting this week as Week 1 (or Week 18--I usually count down to create a sense of urgency) toward a big time spring event. I'm really leaning toward the Little Rock Marathon which is exactly 18, excuse me 17 weeks away. I've run the half marathon there 3 times. As you can see from the picture, the full marathon medal is HUGE. I could make weiner jokes here but being in public education it just wouldn't be appropriate. (Ok, I'll save them for the teacher's lounge.) And just to set the record straight, that's not my bed, or my medal, or my weiner....dog. Sorry, couldn't resist that one! There is another event in March which intrigues me. There is an ultra which a friend of mine hosts. It includes a 12 hour and a 24 hour event. I'd love to add the 12 hour to my list of accomplishments. Its a new event. Last year was the first year and 52 miles won it. Hmmmm.......
...............................................................
The blog has been under construction a little. I've added a quote which I created with the help of a blog that I've been reading. More on that on a later post. I've added some information as to some of my running history. There are a bunch more races that need to go in the Classic Racing Section but I'm thinking of changing that section.
.............................................................
Best wishes to all as the holidays approach and as always......
EVERY DAY IS A GOOD DAY, SOME ARE JUST BETTER. THANKS FOR READING!

2 comments:

  1. On marathontalk.com, it is commented that the Little Rock Marathon's medal is the biggest in the world. I would not doubt that after seeing the picture now. Love your quote. I hate daylight savings time, I think it is stupid. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about the cell phone. lol. Great week in training man. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete