Monday, November 29, 2010

Turning The Page

Turning the page. Getting life back to normal. How in the world does one do this after the loss of a loved one. I'm working on it. I don't have my exact path figured out yet but I'm on it. I was going to train for the Little Rock Marathon which is March 6. I lost a couple of weeks of training so now I'm really not sure. I want a big spring event.
....................................

There is a local ultra in Mid-March which has my
attention. It is a 12 Hour/24 Hour Endurance Weekend. It goes toward a scholarship fund to benefit students with disabilities. I like that. The proceeds definitely serve an excellent purpose.
......................................
I'm most certainly a race junkie as I have openly admitted in the past. Yes, the first step...... admitting there may be a problem. So, how about hitting the 5-K circuit and really placing a focus on getting back to times I was running 4 or 5 years ago. Without a doubt, I could do that. (The times were not that fast so I feel confident I could regain that form.) Hmmm......... if that was so great 5 years ago, why did I move on to other things, boredom, burnout?
..............................
As you can tell from the pictures, I want a little adventure but I also want to feel the pain of training for a real event. I want to call on that inner toughness to complete a training program and I want to compete a little. I will admit that I have ran more than my share of events with the primary goal being to run to the best of my ability on that day. Very often, I trained to complete the event, not compete the event. I have a slight edge and I want to take it into my training and event schedule as I enter the new year.
..................................................
Here is where my blog friends step in. I'll take suggestions. Feel free to critique my blog post. Be harsh. Throw out the kid gloves and give me the the straight poop. I'm really at the point where I want to attack an event but I'm just kind of at a loss as to the distance and nature of the event.
.............................................
Things are going well. School is back in session after the Thanksgiving Holidays. I'll be honest, it's fourteen days until Christmas Break. We then get another couple weeks off which I plan to use wisely. We may try to sneak in a little travel time that has been neglected and I most certainly want to make use of the time off to boost the training miles before school starts again in January. The ball is in your court, provide some input. Challenge me. Question my toughness, go on, make my day. (Can I say that? Is there a copyright?) Seriously, hammer me with some suggestions to guide me along. If it's your words which strike the chord and propel me on toward my next event, you will get major "props." Maybe even a guest blog post or something. At the very least, I'll hang your picture in our family room during the holiday season.
...........................................
Every day is a good day, some are just better.

2 comments:

  1. Oh...so many options!!

    My thoughts? You want a challenge? I would say go for the Ultra, but you sound unsure about getting to the marathon at this point...So I say buck up and train for the Little Rock Marathon - you have time providing you have a pretty good base. You are just far enough out to make it doable if you want it.

    Or say the heck with it and go for the Ultra. that would be way more Chuck Norris of you.

    I think the 5K circuit might bore you again, what about going 10K just to see how you do?

    Pikes Peak has always been on my radar... http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/
    That my friend, is a challenge!

    And, lastly...as an additional challenge..being a triathlete, I can't help but recommend really jumping off the deep end and trying one. Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now thats feedback! I like it. Great Comment. I'm rolling with all the thoughts. Its weird to have done this sport for 10 years and be searching for a direction.

    Awesome, awesome comment!!

    ReplyDelete