Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Long Time No See....

Hello Blogging World. Things have been just plain hectic since my last blog post. As you may remember, the Lewis and Clark Half Marathon went extremely well. I was pleased with my overall time as well as my age group placement and overall finish.

I had plans to go to Wynne, Arkansas and run the Mid South Half Marathon this weekend.... but, plans change. My dad recently spent 17 days in the hospital. I took two and a half days off of school at the end of his stay to help my mom with decisions that had to be made.

I'm not sure how much you may be familiar with our fam's history here so hang on..... Pop or Ralph as I usually call him (he calls me the same), has been through it all. He has Parkinson's Disease, Congestive Heart Failure, and Emphysema. All are in the advanced stages. We went through lung cancer about ten years ago. At that point, the doctor in St. Louis gave him three years due to the Emphysema. Obviously, we beat that one!

Over the last ten years, there have been numerous angiograms, stints, a gall bladder surgery, shall I go on? Dad has been cat-like definitely utilizing all of his available nine lives! Two years ago he had open heart surgery and went back and forth from the Hospital, to the Nursing Home, to Therapy, to the Hospital, to the Nursing Home.... got the idea?

We nearly lost him on one occasion but after five days on the Ventilator, he stayed with us. He actually went home on election day TWO YEARS AGO TODAY after having surgery on August 1st. Happy Anniversary DAD!

Back to today.... 17 days. I do believe his second longest stay only to be overshadowed by his stay following open heart. Going home was kind of happy-sad. A good-bad thing. Dad accepted hospice which means we most likely don't go back to the hospital for lung related issues. It was his decision. It felt weird walking out of the hospital for maybe the last time. I can't explain the things I felt. I'm not sure what I feel at this point or how to place it into words so lets talk running.......

Good Idea, Change The Subject. As I stated, the run this weekend is OFF. It was a cheapie. Only 25 to enter so I don't feel bad there. I really feel like I could do the run but just need the time to relax and kick back.

I am hoping to train for a spring marathon. My options are the Little Rock Marathon, the Country Music Marathon, and the St. Louis Marathon. There is also a local ultra which would be excellent as well.

I'm leaning toward the Little Rock event. I haven't preregistered yet which is the final commitment but I've charted out the training. Its most certainly leading the way in my thoughts.

THE MEDAL IS FREAKING HUGE AND I LIKE BLING!!!

I am going to continue to build my base adding a little strength work and cross training and using the next week or two to officially decide. Ok, TRUTH-----I'm going to do the training program for the next couple of weeks in case that is the way I want to go. There! I feel better. Honesty. The program is much like the half program I used. Short, Medium Long, Short, Medium Long, LONG. Depending on the day, mixing in some fartleks, hill work, and maybe some YASSOS.

We'll see where this goes. I honestly won't know till I get there.

Every day is a good day, some are just better. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your dad, but based on his history, I'm guessing you got your endurance genes from him!

    ReplyDelete