Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's About Passion


We needed a little break this week in my Physical Science Class. After a big Unit Test last week and a 3 chapter Math Test Monday, they wanted a video.
..........................
So. Its character building time. I broke out my Aron Ralston video--Suvivor. You know the story. Aron is the guy who got his arm pinned by the huge boulder while hiking in Southeastern Utah. After being trapped there for several days, he amputated his right arm and hiked out.
...........................
The video, which I purchased off of nbc.com for a measly six dollars is fantastic. The first day sets the stage and is ok. The second day is where Aron gets into the actual amputation process which includes the breaking of his forearm bones, the drinking of his own urine, and his amazing hike back to civilization.
.......................................

Two really cool things happened in class over these two days:
DAY ONE
On day one, they are talking about how Aron quit his job at Intel so that he could go on a mountain climbing adventure instead. We had discussed that this was a job with a fantastic company which most likely included a wonderful salary and terrific benefits.

Right in front of me, one student asked another: "He quit his job? Why? To go mountain climbing?" The other student, a young lady looked back at him and simply said:

"ITS ABOUT PASSION."

That was it. I was all in. SOMEBODY GETS IT!!

DAY TWO
We finished the movie today. At the end of my last period class (which is the group that I couldn't really tell if they were enjoying the video or not), two young ladies went to the library and checked out Aron's book; "Between a Rock and a Hard Place." I walked into the library after school just in time to see the third and final copy of this book being checked out. Again, by a student that I wasn't real sure if he enjoyed the video or not.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
...........................................................................................
I tried to clue them in a little as to "How bad do you want to live?" and "What could you do to survive?" I didn't expect the parade to the library to get the books nor the extra special passion comment. Again, one of those little things in education we don't get paid for.
..........................................................................................
The picture above is myself and Aron. He spoke at Southeast Missouri State University last year as part of the University Speaker Series. I was on the front row sitting with our librarian. She beat me there and saved me a seat. Meeting him and getting the picture was well worth the stand in line. He is truly an inspiring individual. His movie came out last week. I don't know if it will make it to Southeast Missouri movie theatres or not.... NETFLIX anyone?
.................................
As always, EVERY DAY IS A GOOD DAY, SOME ARE JUST BETTER. THANKS FOR READING!

4 comments:

  1. It must be cool when little things like that click, I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat--Good to hear from ya!! I'm not sure he for sure knew what she meant by "passion" but SHE GOT IT.

    I reached one for sure. Two days well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very awesome post man. Very inspiring. I could not even imagine doing that. I would have probably just stayed pinned there or something. But who knows unless you are in that situation. Thanks for sharing and it was awesome that your class got "it". Running is all about passion. In my earlier days, I would just do something and move on to something else. I never was really passionate about one thing. Now I am. Thanks again man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey buddy, thanks for the kind words on my blog spot on the marathon. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete