Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Mid-Week Milestone--Mr. 7000

After finishing my middle of the week six miler this morning, I got a very nice treat. I was walking in the door and thought wow, its September.... I have to flip the calendar. As I was adding up August, I thought to check the career mileage since I started back running in 2000-2001. I received a very pleasant surprise. After yesterday's 5 a.m. three miler, my running mileage was setting at an EVEN 7000 miles.
.....................
I started back running and working out simply to get back into shape. I had raced bicycles in the late 80's and early 90's when I started teaching. After ending the bike racing career, I very slowly got up to almost 240 pounds. I'm hovering now around 190 pounds and run best in the low 180's. I do however feel so much better than I did at 230 plus pounds. My hope is that this continues for many years to come. I really don't care to be that person that you READ about in Runners World as long as I live the life. I do want to be that old man in about 30 years who is still kicking out events and hanging medals rather than sitting on my front porch in a rocking chair wondering where my life went.
....................
People start running, lifting weights, swimming, or biking for many reasons. Each individual has their own story. I hope that this post serves as motivation for new runners as well as any veteran runners who are struggling with injury or fitness. Whether you are trying to qualify for Boston or meet some sort of personal goal, remember why you started. Keep things in the proper perspective and enjoy your sport. Train and prepare for each event to the best of your ability. On race day, bring your best. Good or bad, its most likely not your first race and it probably won't be your last.
....................
Every day is a good day, some are just better. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I want that car! Love - love - love it!!

    YAY you 7000! COmpletely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 240 to 190...we have the same stats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! 50 lbs is an amazing weightloss!! Congrats! 7000 miles!! That is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post and nice job on the weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete