Sunday, August 29, 2010

LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER

When I posted last week, I was pretty much disgusted with my week's efforts (21.5 miles but a long run of only 6.5 miles) and I stated that I planned this week to strive toward four quality workouts and a little time off. It was rough but I took Sunday and Wednesday completely off. No running or biking at all.
................
Jeff at Dangle the Carrot was kind of enthused by my Hal Higdon comment so I actually decided to just go with Hal this week as my "Running Daddy" instead of Darth despite the obvious Star Wars reference on the post title. Actually, I don't think Darth ran anyway. The helmet would NOT have been comfortable.
..............
As stated, 4 runs was the goal. Two shorter, one mid-range, and one long. All relative to my fitness level and current goals. Let's skip any further appetizers and get to the main course. The week went well. Two complete days off. NOTHING. It was tough. I completed five runs for the week for a total of 25. 5 miles. Monday, I started the week with 3.5 miles. I came back Tuesday with 3.2 miles. Thursday, I returned with 5.2 miles with another 3.5 miles coming on Friday right after school. Saturday, I started to do a mid-day run but didn't feel very well so I took a NAP instead! (Yes, I said a nap!) The nap worked because I went out about 7 p.m. and kicked out an EASY 10.1 miler to finish the week.
..............
I went kind of old school with the 10 miler. I really like to run point to point for some reason. So..... I strapped on the Gatorades and started out Highway 72 which has a NEW lane on each side of the road (Thank you MODOT!!) toward the country. I had my lovely bride pick me up at Millersville which was about 6.5 miles into the run. Upon arriving back into town, I took off on what I call Megan's Circle (it's a course me and my daughter ran several times together back when she started running, hence--special route) and wrapped up the 10-spot. It went very well. I had no foot pain and felt strong the entire ten miles. So, anyone reading this can most likely come up with the schedule for this week's running. Four solid runs. Two short, one medium, one long. Again, all relative to the event and current fitness level.
................
Props this week go out to Kenley at The Essence of Running for registering for his first official race, The Capital Blue Cross Half Marathon in Harrisburg, PA. He has been running for about a year and a half and definitely deserves a "shout out" for jumping on that first race. Stop by his blog and throw out some quality first race motivational kindness!!
...............
Every day is a good day, some are just better. As always, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Nice week of running! Hal is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hal Rocks. He got me through all of my marathons!! Awesome week of running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Workin the plan! good news no foot pain
    -Derek

    ReplyDelete