Saturday, August 21, 2010

I COULDN'T CATCH MARGE, MUCH LESS BART!!

Week Seven Running and the First Week of School:
Hopefully the title and picture kind of have you prepared for the report on this week! Actually, the week overall was pretty good. I logged 21.5 miles on the ground. The early week runs went very well. I logged three miles per day Sunday through Thursday with the week day runs coming at 5 a.m. I took Friday off and had planned a 10 miler today to cap the week. As you can see to the right, I just didn't have it today. I kicked out 6.5 miles and scrapped the workout for the day.
.....

I've been generally pretty displeased today with the ten spot going south. It has just been general disgruntlement. (Is that a real word?) Next week, due to school and softball practice, I'm going to try to go a little Hal Higdon on you. I'd like four good workouts. I hope to go short, mid-range, short, and long for my four runs and give myself a little rest and recovery time.
....
Best case scenario, I may ride the mountain bike a little. It just depends on how I'm feeling throughout the week. Something needs to kick in and jumpstart my butt though. I'm a little concerned that the long runs just are not progressing as well as I would like. I can actually feel a little self-doubt kicking in and I've not had to deal with that before when preparing for a half-marathon. The full monty--yep sure as well as an ultra but generally I've always felt very comfortable that I could go out and kick the dog out of a two hour run. I need that back.
.....
On a side note, I want to wish Amanda at Caratunk Girl and Jon from SwiCycloRun lots of luck tomorrow. They are both competing in the Timberman Ironman 70.3 in New Hampshire tomorrow. If you are up and about early in the morning, you can follow them online as they compete in their respective heats. Go to their webpages for their full names and bib numbers as well as motivational and entertaining videos. Good luck to both of you!!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out!

    Nice run volume for the week! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stress the long run; they get easier and easier over time... just make sure you keep em at "long run" pace. Hopefully the extra day or two of rest will do ya some good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be a general malaise in the running world right now. I think everyone's doing too much and with fall approaching, good running weather is soon over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm just questioning the decision 3 years ago to return to high school coaching.

    I thought as an assistant it would be easier. It is as far as the paperwork and things of that nature but 2 hours of practice is two hours of practice. Head Coach, Assistant, it really doesn't matter.

    My body feels abused. My feet hurt but I don't think its plantar. i THINK its just tired....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take it easy if you are tired --- listen to your body or an injury will follow.

    So are you going all Higdon on us this week yet?? lol ..that cracked me up. My wife loves Hal and speaks of him often (yes, i know that is weird).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff--I took my daughter to a Cardinal game Sunday---Day Off.

    I ran 3 Monday, 3 Tuesday, coached a game Monday, coached a game Tuesday, and practiced today.

    I'm sitting at home on my #@% icing my feet making myself take today off. I should have rode the bike. Its killing me. But I'm tired and my freaking feet hurt.

    Yeah--Hal, but I hope not "Shallow Hal!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like you stay pretty busy with races. I hope I can put up some similiar time in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the shout out!! :) I am finally getting caught up on my blogs! Work wanted my attention. Geez.

    Seriously - if your body is tired, take it easy. Take it from someone who got injured because she didn't listen. You will not lose fitness, you might even gain. Just sayin! :)

    ReplyDelete