Friday, July 9, 2010

The Holiday Weekend and Week 13 Training


Well, not sure where to start. Its been a few days since the last blog so I'll just catch everyone up with the Fourth of July weekend as well as the first week of half marathon training. First, the "holiday" weekend.

As everyone knows who has read my blog, my wife and I ran a fireworks stand for a local fireworks dealer. I'll give you the final numbers. Over approximately the last two and one-half weeks, I logged around 110 total hours in the fireworks industry. This started with setting up the massive sales tents which I blogged about earlier. We then set up the stand that we were going to be responsible for. The next seven days consisted of sales. This drew to a close last weekend with 10 hours Friday, 12 hours Saturday, and a nice 13 hours on the fourth itself. We then boxed all unsold merchandise, and took down all of the lights, signs, and tables for shipment back to the warehouse. This took a couple of days. We then thought we were done but got the opportunity to pick up a few more hours helping pack another location a few miles down the road.

Now having been paid, we have officially drawn the Fourth of July weekend to a close and are attempting to get life somewhat back to normal. Having worked so many hours in such a short time, it seems weird for it to finally be over. For anyone who is out to make a quick buck and thinks this is the way to go, THINK TWICE!! It is a TREMENDOUS amount of work. It would be something that I would not look forward to at all and would dread greatly if we were not working for such wonderful people who have been trusting and fair now for two years running.
Ok, lets make this a running blog. Even with the heavy flow of hours, I've mangaged to get my half-marathon training off to a good start. Here goes on the first nine days:
July 1 3 miles 8:30 a.m. (28:00)
July 2 3 miles 8:00 a.m.
July 3 3 miles 8:00 a.m.
July 5 3 miles 8:00 a.m.
July 6 7 miles 6:00 a.m.
July 8 2.5 miles 10:00 a.m. Tywappity Lake Trail (24:21) With Coach P.
July 9 3 miles 2:00 p.m.
Tomorrow--5 mile run to finish this week (1/4-1/11) with 20.5
Overall, I am pleased to get things off to this good of a start with the amount of time I've spent on my feet and the at times physical aspect of the work. There hasn't been much variety but I'm pleased to hit 20 on the first full week of running and so far (cross your fingers), the right foot feels great!! Next week, I plan to hopefully take the long run to 8 miles and bump the total mileage up a notch and hopefully, see some improvement in the realm of endurance.
Every day is a good day, some are just better!! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! You should be able to log the work you did to your training volume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DIDN"T Know that you did the fireworks deal. That would be fun I'd think - but I suppose just like anything else it would get annoying.

    Way to crank out the miles

    ReplyDelete