Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Sad Realization

Ok, very short, very sweet.

History first. I have had the privilage of helping a local fireworks distributor set up tents the last two days. Four hours Sunday. Four hours Monday. Two tents, one of which is 120' x 40' and the other which is 100' x 40'. My wife and I operate a local stand for them to make a little summer cash. As teachers, the extra income is nice as well as having a little something extra to liven up the summer schedule which can get a little humdrum at times. (I operate best with a schedule....) I helped with the tents to perk up my end of the cash!

The work setting up the tents is pretty physical. In the words of my mother, "I couldn't whip a cat without getting a mouthful of hair." (I AM WEAK!!) Simply dragging my end of the tent or using the sledgehammer to drive posts or the constant walking, lifting, and carrying tent poles.... I mean I'm a big stud runner right? Means very little in the world of upper body strength.

I think the stress (embarrassment) of only feeling somewhat functional or not performing as well as I would like my be enough for me to get my butt into the weightroom and maybe stay there somewhat consistent. The 100 Pushup Challenge.... The 100 Squat Challenge...... who knows where this may lead.

I was rolling through training for my first triathlon earlier this year and pulled up injured because of stupidity in the weightroom. (Got a little cocky doing squats!!) Yes, I know I'm 46, I may need to warm up, stretch, follow a plan..... ect.... ect....ect.... My Principal at school is an excellent athlete/triathlete. He lectured me on all of this.

I tend to make my way in there but not stay because I'm tired or I don't stick to a routine or schedule and it seems to drag down my energy level. Hmmm. The first lift came today. I went back to the schedule I was following last spring for my TRI training. I didn't lift legs today however.

HEY, I SAID SHORT AND SWEET!!!

Every day is a good day, some are just better. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. I try to lift twice a week. The debate as to lift v not lift in endurance sports is a popular one.

    I'll tell you another way to build upper body strength - swim with hand paddles, can be brutal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also mix strength, core and cardio (swimming, cycling or running). I don't one has to lift heavy, just lift enough to maintain some upper body strength. Btw, I did the 100 push up challenge. Give it a shot.

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not lifting in the weight room lately. I have a landscaping company I run on the side and lately it has been all mulching, putting yards in, etc. So I count that as my lifting :)

    Way to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that crazy how endurance wise you can go and go and go and not get sore at all. But then go do some painting or in your case, putting up huge tents, and training specificity rears its ugly head.
    During the off season, I try to get in 3 days of weight training and at least 2 during tri or marathon season. I do warm up and stretch first though...especially those of us nearing the 40 age mark or those who already are in their 40's. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback...

    Matty, I like the idea of the landscape company... its like working out for cash!! Wait, I WAS working out for cash!!

    I agree that the lifting needs to be a couple times a week or really kept within reason. With high mileage, the goal needs to be to simply maintain.

    I got on and edited my post a couple of times. I removed a comment I had made that I didn't want the kids at school reading. If when I republish my edit, it pops up on your end and is irritating, please let me know. Again, this blog is still in its infancy. I'm learning the rules!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete